Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Things that I did not know until I became a mom

As I'm looking at the shambles that used to be my pristinely clean house, I started thinking of all the things that I didn't know until I became a mom. I'm sure there are many others that I will forget, please feel free to list them.
1. It takes 4 1/2 hours to get the house clean...and approximately .37 seconds for it to return to looking like a disaster area.
2. When a 3 year old voluntarily approaches you to say "I'm sorry I made a little mess, Mommy" it translates to "Please don't give me the spank that I totally deserve for dumping out all the sugar on the carpet."
3. A one year old that is hungry WILL headbutt you in the face, and it hurts. A lot.
4. When everything is quiet, refer to #2
5. Plastic bags from the grocery store are just as much fun as the fancy, talking, blinky light, learning toys that I thought were "cute AND educational".
6. It takes about half an hour for those fancy toys to go from "cute and educational" to "annoying and about to get bashed to pieces if it doesn't shut up". *yes, Evie, I know - we don't say shut up*
7. The middle seat is the prime real estate in a suburban and there will be hairpulling and punching if Mom doesn't intervene to rectify the situation and figure out "who called it" and "who had it last time".
8. When baby #1 is colicky, baby #2 is just as stressful because every moment that it is not crying, you think something is wrong.
9. Even the best of intentions for a fun activity with the kids can get shot to hell by a trip to the bathroom which leaves the children unsupervised. (ie. the chocolate cupcakes that we were decorating happily which I returned to find crumbled throughout the carpet...ALL over the house and on the stairs.)
10. Honesty is NOT always the best policy. Sometimes silence is better than "You have a really big bum, Mommy."
11. Hearing "You're the best Mom in the whole world!" after a fun trip to the park makes everything worth it.

7 comments:

KathyDeon said...

Oh MAN these are funny. I have laughed about these until my eyes are watering. I'll think of another learned experience to post for you...but for now I'm basking in the beauty of the circle of life and how YOU used to be the one who drove me mad. Ah ha ha ha...life is great!

Mindy said...

I love #10...my oldest asked me a while ago why girls' bums jiggle when they walk? I just laughed! THANK YOU FOR THE LAUGH!

Ku'ulei said...

Ha ha! Love it, love it. It's all so true!

Nina and Ryan said...

Yay Sunny--congrats on the home and on joining the blogging world :) Double amen to the post.

Leisha said...

Hey Sunny!!! I am sure you will think I am a crazy stalker. I just was about to post a comment on Mindy Peterson's blog when I saw your comment and linked over to your family's blog.
You have an adorable family!!!
I hope things are going well. I just wanted to day hi.
(daveandleishasanders.blogspot.com)

Eric and Jackie said...

Sunny I am so glad you have a blog. And jealous that you are in Provo, I would love to be back there with all you guys. I will definately have to get in contact with you next time we come visit. Your kids are adorable and it is so awesome how well Jr has done in football. Congrats on the house!

Alyssa said...

Yeah. . .I say Amen too! How fun you have a blog. I just found it! Hope you are doing well! I hear you may be interested in playing outdoor some this year. . . do you have a partner. Maybe we should play together sometime!