Sunday, May 25, 2008

Barf

One of the things I am the least proud of about myself is my inability to handle barf with any kind of class. I'm not exactly sure why, but when someone is throwing up my initial reaction is to RUN in the opposite direction. When this is not possible, for some reason (I am a bad person for this I know it) I have a hard time even conjuring up sympathy for the person, and actually if I'm being totally honest I feel angry with them for making me feel so uncomfortable.
Enter Ellie Louise. I'm not sure if this child just has a weak stomach or just gets sick often, but she barfs a lot. Usually on Junior and usually in the car. Tonight was the 4th time in the last year that she has barfed in the car, and probably about the 6th or 7th time that it has been on Junior. She is trying her hardest to cure me of my irrational phobia, and I actually think I am showing improvement. I DID feel sorry for her, I DIDN'T run away and I DIDN'T feel angry at all! I just reread that last sentence and I am definitely a bad person.

4 comments:

KathyDeon said...

When you were little, you not only ran in the opposite direction (screaming, I might add) but you also flapped your hands like little bat wings. We called it your flap-o-meter. The faster your little hands flapped, the grosser you thought it was. Hence the name: Sunny's Flap-o-Meter. So you see, you HAVE improved with age. I'm not sure anyone deals with barf well. You may be shooting too high in hoping someday you will feel compassion and WANT to stay and render help.

Shaneen said...

You are so like my sister, Kylene! She doesn't like seeing people throw-up either. Although now that she has 5 kids, she handles it extremely well! And my kids were sick a lot last year, too! I found this product called Juice Plus+, it's basically fruits and veggies in a easy to take form. Now that my kids have been on that for the past 6 months, no more missed school, no more meds, no more visits to the Pediatrician!! I mean it makes sense...more fruits and veggies = better health! Can I send you some info? I'm sure you'll find it helpful!

Anonymous said...

I am the same way about barf! Ryan, my husband, was on a business trip a couple of weeks ago and the lady next to him threw up the whole way and he had to stay siting next to her bc it was a full flight - yuck! I am so glad you are a blogger now! I think about you often and our kung fu fighting days!

What have you been up too? E-mail me so we can catch up.

Shaunna3at hotmail (use the at sign - I have heard if you use it in posts, spammers pick it up).

Tori said...

Sunny! I just found your blog through Kuulei's. Now we're myspace, facebook, AND blog friends. Haha. Gotta love the internet! :) I'll send you an invite to see my blog if you're interested!