Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Pepper Tongue

Well, I obviously lost interest in blogging for a while, but I'm back. Last night I had to give my daughter Ellie a pepper tongue - a punishment I used to get for saying naughty words. I told her that she could not have a 3rd ice cream (she snuck the 2nd) and as she was walking away pouting, I heard her muttering quietly "Stupid, stupid Mommy." So she got a big dose of pepper on her tongue.
I then sat and reminisced with my brother Steven about our old pepper tongue days. My most memorable pepper tongue moment was when I was asked to quote a movie line - any ol' movie line. My parents used to think this was adorable. So I chose a line from one of my favorite movies at the time, Back to the Future. So many great lines in that movie, but my ill-fated choice was when Doc Brown is waiting for Marty and he is running late. So Doc Brown keeps checking his watch and says "Damn!" then he paces a few steps, checks the watch again and says "Damn, damn!" It seems unfair now looking back on this that I got a pepper tongue for this because I clearly didn't know that it was a bad word or I wouldn't have recited it to my parents.
My brother's story is similar. My dad had just quoted The Princess Bride - "I want my father back, you son-of-a-gun" - to which my brother said, "No, Dad, it's 'son-of-a-b****". Another instance in which he clearly didn't know that this was bad, but my dad skipped the pepper and gave him the tabasco.
That's all for now.

4 comments:

Lexi Patterson said...

Hi Sunny!! I love the Pepper Tongue story! Your little girls are adorable. And Ellie sounds like a cute little trouble maker. I love it. And I agree with you, it's not fair if you don't even know the word is bad. :) Casey uses that excuse all the time. Ha ha. I just barely started blogging, so we'll see how long I can keep this up. Put up pictures of your new house, I want to see it.

Take care,
Lexi

Stephanie Brinton said...

Okay, I need more details on how this actually works. I have been threatening my kids with pepper on the tongue ever since you told me about it the first time. And I actually even tried it once, but I couldn't get their mouth open. So what's the trick?

Leisha said...

Your stories are always so entertaining!! Share more on this whole pepper thing...

KathyDeon said...

Pepper tongue originated with the Junie Grandma. She did it to me. I did it to you. You do it to Ellie. Ah ha ha ha....the circle of life.